Over the last 12 hours, coverage has focused on the operational response to the suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard the Dutch-flagged expedition cruise ship MV Hondius, which has been off the coast of Cape Verde and is now heading toward Spain’s Canary Islands. Spain said the ship is expected to reach Tenerife within three days, with passenger evacuations starting May 11. The WHO also continued to stress that the situation is not comparable to COVID-19 and that the overall public health risk remains low, even as authorities work to monitor passengers and trace contacts.
A key development in the most recent reporting is the evacuation of three people from the ship: two sick crew members and one person who had been in contact with a confirmed case. Multiple reports describe the medical transfer process—patients leaving the ship via hazmat-suited medical teams, then boarding flights out of Praia (Cape Verde)—with arrivals reported in Amsterdam (Netherlands) and Las Palmas (Canary Islands). WHO reporting also indicates the outbreak involves the Andes strain, described as the only hantavirus species documented as capable of human-to-human transmission in rare cases, and that authorities are monitoring more than 100 passengers still on board while some earlier disembarked travelers are being advised to self-isolate.
The last 12 hours also brought updates on people who left the ship before the outbreak was fully understood. One report says an Australian passenger returned home after a group of 23 disembarked at Saint Helena (April 21), with claims that one of that group later tested positive and was hospitalized in Switzerland. Another report says two Britons who were on the cruise have returned to the UK and are self-isolating as “close contacts,” with authorities stating they have no symptoms and that the risk to the general public remains very low. In parallel, coverage notes WHO monitoring and contact tracing efforts extending beyond the ship itself, including attention to travelers connected to flights associated with the outbreak.
In the broader 7-day window, earlier reporting established the outbreak’s timeline and investigative direction: deaths were reported among passengers, and health authorities confirmed the virus as Andes hantavirus, while tracing suggested the initial infections may have occurred during the voyage rather than on board. Background coverage also highlighted the ship’s prolonged period at sea and the growing international coordination among health agencies as confirmed and suspected case counts rose. However, within the evidence provided here, the most concrete “new” movement in the last 12 hours is the continued evacuation/transport logistics and the public-health follow-up for travelers who already left the ship.
Note: The provided material is dominated by international reporting on the MV Hondius outbreak; there is no Cabo Verde-specific business or policy development in the supplied excerpts beyond references to Cape Verde’s role in medical assistance and clearance/coordination.